Floodplain Management & Hazard Mitigation
The Floodplain Management and Hazard Mitigation Department strives to lessen the risk of flooding and implement long-term actions now to reduce the loss of life and property from the impacts of future disasters in Jefferson Parish.
We provide the following services:
- Flood Zone Determinations and Flood Map Inquiries
- Education and Outreach for Natural Hazards
- Guidance on Various Mitigation Methods
- Oversight of Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Programs
- Coordination of Natural Hazards Resilience Efforts
- Jefferson Parish’s Hazard Mitigation Plan Update
- Community Rating System (CRS) Program for unincorporated Jefferson Parish
- Floodplain Solicitation of Views
- Elevation Certificate and Flood Insurance Declarations Page Analysis
Maggie Talley, Director
Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng is highlighting different departments in parish government that are taking it to the "Next Level" by trying to come up with new and innovative ways to make local government operate more efficiently and to respond to constituent needs more rapidly. In the fourth installment of the series, Parish President Lee Sheng introduces you to two departments with similar missions. The Ecosystem & Coastal Management Department and the Floodplain Management & Hazard Mitigation Department and their respective directors Michelle Gonzales and Maggie Talley are involved in coastal restoration and mitigation projects designed to reduce the risk of flooding.