Bess Martin, Director
The Jefferson Parish Planning Department is involved in planning and development regulatory activities in the unincorporated areas* of Jefferson Parish, including:
*For planning information concerning the municipalities of Grand Isle, Gretna, Harahan, Jean Lafitte, Kenner, and Westwego, click here.
The Current Planning Division of the Planning Department is divided into two sections, Eastbank and Westbank, which accept applications for the following activities subject to a review process:
- Change property boundaries through the subdivision process
- Change the zoning of property or receive written confirmation of existing zoning of property
- Develop a site plan in a special district, including
- Old Metairie Neighborhood Conservation District (OMNCD)
- Commercial Parkway Overlay Zone (CPZ)
- Commercial Parkway Overlay Zone Pedestrian (CPZ-Ped)
- Mixed-Use Corridor District (MUCD)
- Fat City Zoning Districts (FC-1, FC-2 & FC-3)
- Old Bucktown Mixed-Use Districts (OBM-1 & OBM-2)
- Fairfield Overlay District (FOD)
- Establish a special permitted/conditional use
The Long-Range Division of the Planning Department maintains the Unified Development Code, the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance, and the Comprehensive Plan. By conducting studies and other types of research, the department makes recommendations to the Parish Council and other decision-makers responsible for the parish’s long- and short-term growth and development.
The Planning Department also furnishes technical planning assistance to the Parish Administration and other parish government departments, collaborates with the Regional Planning Commission regarding issues affecting Jefferson Parish, and maintains the zoning, future land use, and parcel maps housed in the Parish’s Geographic Information System (GIS).