East Bank Office:
Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 206
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6364
Fax: (504) 736-6368
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(Closed 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
West Bank Office (Main Office)
General Government Building
200 Derbigny St., Suite 3100
Gretna, LA 70053
Phone: (504) 364-2730
Fax: (504) 365-3320
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
JEFFERSON PARISH DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
GENERAL EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS
- Applications MUST be submitted online before Midnight on the Final Filing Date. Applications are ONLY accepted through our online system. Application received after the closing date specified on the announcement will NOT be accepted.
- ALL job opportunities currently open for application are advertised on our website and at our Personnel Department Application Offices
- Applicants without internet access at home can access our online application system at our application offices or at Parish Libraries. Applicants who provide an email address can be notified periodically about the status of their applications, scheduling of examinations, referral to job vacancies, etc.
- IMPORTANT: User accounts are for one person only and should NOT be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize the status on any positions you apply for.
- When applying online you MUST complete and return the Employment Information Release Form to the Personnel Department before your application can be processed.(Necessary only when initially applying. Only last two (2) lines are to be completed.)
- The Personnel Department has prepared information and instructions for use by job applicants who are interested in taking advantage of the department's online job application process. This can be accessed by following the link to Online Application Instructions.
- Applicants may also call the Personnel Department for assistance at (504) 364-2730
- ALL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR EXAMINATIONS MUST BE MET BY THE FINAL FILING DATE, except that the Personnel Department may admit applicants to examinations conditionally in certain instances, with the provision that such qualifications shall be established prior to certification for employment.
- It is important to include any relevant education, experience, and your entire employment history, including periods of unemployment, on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Any applicant may be disqualified if his past employment record is unsatisfactory as determined by the Department of Personnel. Any previous work experience that is less than thirty-five (35) hours per week (e.g., part-time, volunteer, etc.) will be prorated at HALF the length of service.
- Some job postings have an application deadline; others are open on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Applicants who are interested in jobs that are not currently open for application may request email notification of an announcement through the online application website, or may complete a job interest card which may be filed with the Personnel Office at any time.
- DELAY IN THE MAIL OR EMAIL: The Personnel Department cannot accept responsibility for failure of the applicant to receive an admission slip to an examination, or for failure of the Department to receive material mailed or emailed by the applicant.
- Applications for examinations shall be open to all persons irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability; however, permanent Jefferson Parish residents will receive preference on certifications for employment over non-residents.
- The Personnel Department does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. Therefore, reasonable accommodations will be provided to allow access to the Department's programs and activities for individuals with disabilities unless such accommodations would result in undue hardship. Auxiliary Aids such as readers, telecommunications devices for deaf persons (TDD'S) taped text, and large print material or other aids are provided for individuals requesting such accommodations under provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Unless otherwise stated on the front of this announcement, there shall be no maximum age limit for admission to examinations. The minimum age limit shall be eighteen (18) years of age for any class of work in the Parish service requiring hard physical labor, operation of or proximity to hazardous machinery, exposure to hazardous chemicals or participation in any other processes or procedures which are prohibited or limited by the Louisiana State Child Labor Law.
- VETERAN PREFERENCE in examinations will be granted only to those persons who provide proof of military service during covered periods, and who are found to be eligible.
- If selected, as a condition of employment, applicants shall be required to satisfactorily participate in a post-offer medical examination which shall include drug testing.
- The working test period for all positions shall be six months, unless otherwise stated on the front of this announcement. However, any six-month working test period may be extended for a maximum of six additional months in accordance with the Personnel Rules.
- As a condition of your employment with Jefferson Parish, you may be designated as an essential duty status employee. This means that you may be required to be available for duty assignment during emergency events and may also be required to work prior to, during and after hurricanes, floods, disasters, and other crisis/emergency events.