Jefferson Child and JeffCAP Head Start Birth-Five Application Process
Requirements to apply to Head Start Birth-Five Program
Early Care and Education Act
In 2012, the Louisiana Legislature passed Act 3, the Early Care and Education Act. Act 3 requires the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) to create a unified system to manage all publicly funded early childhood programs. To begin this process, the Louisiana Department of Education selected communities around the state to become Early Childhood Network Pilots. The Jefferson Collaborative became an Early Childhood Network Pilot in the spring of 2014. All publicly funded early childhood programs must comply with the requirements of Act 3.
The unified enrollment process between JeffCAP Head Start Birth to Five Program and Jefferson Child Collaborative means parents must complete two applications to apply for a slot in JeffCAP‘s Early Head Start or Head Start.
Steps to follow to apply:
- Apply to JeffCAP Birth to Five Program for Early Head Start and Head Start Services applications must be submitted online at:
- Complete the second application with the Early Childhood Collaborative. Applications must be submitted online at https://www.jeffersonchild.com/site531.php through the “Apply Now” button on the top of the home page.
- Complete the Jefferson Child application providing information and all required documentation. Once your Jefferson Child application has been approved, you will receive a message.
- A Family Service Specialists from JeffCAP Head Start B- 5 program will contact you to complete the Registration Process at your selected Head Start B-5 center.
Items: Needed to Register your Child:
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- Medical Card
- Current Immunization Record
- IFSP or IEP if child has an exceptionality
- Parent/Guardian Photo ID
- Proof of Jefferson Parish Residency (utility bill, lease, and mortgage)
- 2 current and consecutive paycheck stubs
- Proof of Gross Income from 2019 or other documentation for financial eligibility (child support, SSI/TANF, retirement benefits, child support)
- Other benefits you might receive: CCAP, SNAP, WIC)
You will be notified if your child has been accepted into the program. Please call the center of your choice to speak with the Family Service Specialist for clarification.
HEAD START CENTRAL OFFICE - Family services
Joseph S. Yenni Building
If you have questions please contact the center of your choice, phone numbers are listed under Early Head Start / Head Start locations.