When Do I Need Or Not Need A Permit

East Bank Office
Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 101
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6957

West Bank Office
1855 Ames Blvd., Suite A
Marrero, LA 70072
Phone: (504) 364-3512

To apply for a permit online, visit MGO Connect Portal.

When do I need a Permit?

Any construction work within the Metairie Ridge Tree Protection District (MRTPD) and the Old Metairie Neighborhood Conservation District (OMNCD), will require a building permit including all applicable MRTPD or OMNCD requirements.

When you want to:

  • Construct
  • Enlarge
  • Alter
  • Repair
  • Move
  • Demolish
  • Change the occupancy (of) a building or structure
  • Most construction work, including driveways, sidewalks, retaining walls, etc., within the Metairie Ridge Tree Protection District (MRTPD) and the Old Metairie Neighborhood Conservation District (OMNCD) also requires an MRTPD Major Construction Application via MGO Connect Portal

All required permit(s) must be obtained before any work is begun. Anyone who wishes to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, to include propane or natural gas generators, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, shall be properly licensed and apply for inspection (filing) with the applicable inspection section before any work can commence.

Filing Required - Submit Online at MGO Connect Portal

  • Replacement or installation of water heaters, toilets, faucets, etc. require filing by a State Plumbing Board of Louisiana licensed plumber, gas fitter, etc.
  • Replacement or installation of air conditioning, heating equipment requires filing by Jefferson Parish licensed mechanical contractor.
  • Replacement or installation of electrical service panels, light fixtures, ceiling fans, switches, outlets, etc. requires filing by a Jefferson Parish licensed electrician.

No work may be done before a permit is obtained.

Fencing, storage sheds, carports, etc., of any size and permanently installed emergency or backup electrical generators require a building permit. All structures and exterior equipment such as A/C units, water heaters, and generators, must comply with zoning requirements for distance from property lines.

Sidewalks, driveway aprons, curb cuts, which are all on the Public Right of Way, require a permit from the JP Department of Engineering:

(504)736-6505 or (504) 736-6500 or JPEngineering@jeffparish.net 

Driveways, retaining walls, excavations such as for subsurface drainage or sewer repair, and any other activity which may affect tree root systems in the Metairie Ridge Tree Preservation District (MRTPD) require a Tree Preservation permit from Parkways Department at (504) 349-5800 or JPParkways@jeffparish.net 

Most construction activities in the Old Metairie Neighborhood Conservation District (OMNCD) require application to the Jefferson Parish Planning Department for OMNCD approval. (504) 736-6320 

When do I NOT need a Permit?

Generally, a building permit shall not be required for the following, unless in the opinion of the Code Official, it involves a hazardous or complex condition which requires permitting and inspection:

For the purposes of determining substantial improvement/damage in accordance with National Flood Insurance Program,
the below exemptions for permit shall be included in the cost estimate:

  • interior painting, replacement of wearable items including countertops when no plumbing or electrical is involved, direct plug-in only appliances to include microwaves, refrigerators, free-standing electric ranges, toaster ovens, tiling, carpeting and similar finish work with respect to one- and two family dwellings;
  • paving of walkways, driveways, or other non-structural paving on private property; however, in accordance with Chapter 29 Roads and Bridges of this Code, construction of sidewalks, curb cuts, and related paving in Parish public right-of-way requires a permit from the Department of Public Works, and certain zoning districts require review and approval of paving as part of site plan review and tree preservation;
  • exterior painting, replacement windows and doors for one- and two family dwellings only when they are fit within the existing rough opening of an existing structure, when not requiring protective scaffolding over public property, and do not reduce the existing opening dimensions;
  • change of roof covering only and/or gutter work with respect to one- and two family dwellings;
  • replace soffit and/or fascia only on all Type V B construction;
  • prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 occupancy, which are less than twenty-four (24) inches deep;
  • replacement of vinyl siding or other non-structural exterior wall covering on one- and two family dwellings only, provided that exterior coverings comply with any other provisions of Chapter 33 and 40;
  • playhouses, swings and other similar playground equipment;
  • construction shacks, dumpsters, or trailers on construction sites, during the time of active construction;
  • Pile load test and soil boring;
  • The replacement of fence boards and stringers provided the existing location meets the requirements of Chapters 33 and 40, there is no _change in location, height, type, or design and there is no addition, removal, or relocation of any fence posts.

Generally, work authorized under permit issued must begin within 6 months of permit issuance. For maximum construction time allowed, consultation with the Department is recommended.

Minor repairs.

Minor ordinary repairs may be made with the approval of the Building Permits Department, without a building permit.  Such repairs shall not violate any of the provisions of the technical codes or any other Parish laws or ordinances.

Minor ordinary repairs shall not include the removal of any wall, partition, or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, the removal or change of any required means of egress, rearrangement of contents or parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, addition to or alteration of any water supply, sewer, drain, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping.  Nor shall any minor ordinary repairs include electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or other work which may affect or be injurious to health, public safety, or general welfare.

The information provided above is intended to be general guidelines only.  Please contact us if you need further details or clarification.