JEFFERSON PARISH, LOUISIANA
July 13, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JPL’S FREE COMIC CON FOCUSES ON
SUPERHEROES AND COMIC BOOK CULTURE
METAIRIE, LA - The Jefferson Parish Library’s Comic Con, a comic book mini-convention that focuses on superheroes and comic book culture for kids and teens, will occur from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14, at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon, Metairie.
This event is free of charge; registration is not required. Costumes and cosplay are encouraged.
The event will feature the following components:
- How to Draw workshops:
- 11 a.m. - Author and artist Mike Artell will teach a cartooning workshop.
- 12 p.m. - Artist Samantha Hallenus will teach the basics of creating one’s own comic book page
- A Superhero Training Academy for kids. Kids will create their own superhero alter ego making a superhero id card, mask, shield and power cuffs. They will also develop their super skills with an obstacle course, feats of strength, agility and endurance and a special scavenger hunt to develop their skills of observation.
- Teens will create superhero Perler bead creations, strike a pose in the superhero themed photo booth, and more.
- A library-wide Marvel Movie Scavenger Hunt.
- Professional Face Painters.
For more information regarding this presentation, contact Chris Smith, Manager of Adult Programming for the library, at (504) 889-8143 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with provisions of the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, as amended, Jefferson Parish shall not discriminate against individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in its services, programs or activities. If you require auxiliary aids or devices, or other reasonable accommodation under the ADA Amendments Act, please submit your request to the ADA Coordinator at least 48 hours in advance or as soon as practical. A 72-hour advanced notice is required to request Certified ASL interpreters. ADA Coordinator/Office of Citizens with Disabilities 1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 403, Elmwood, LA 70123, (504) 736-6086, ADA@jeffparish.net
The Jefferson Parish Library system consists of 16 locations that stretch from the Lakeshore Branch on the edge of Lake Pontchartrain to the Grand Isle Branch just steps away from the Gulf of Mexico. The library system consists of two large regional libraries and seven branches on each side of the Mississippi River. The East Bank Regional Library (4747 West Napoleon Avenue, Metairie) serves as library headquarters. The Jefferson Parish Library is the second largest system in the state of Louisiana. More than 200 employees work for the Jefferson Parish Library including librarians, administration and support staff. For more information, contact the library at (504) 838-1100 or www.jefferson.lib.la.us.
For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.JeffParish.net. Residents can also receive regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.
Jefferson Parish Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
JPALERT – SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY ALERTS
Gretchen Hirt Gendron, PIO