JEFFERSON PARISH, LOUISIANA
June 5, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JEFFERSON PARISH PRESIDENT CYNTHIA LEE SHENG DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN ADVANCE OF TROPICAL STORM CRISTOBAL
JEFFERSON, LA – Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng declared a state of emergency in advance of Tropical Storm Cristobal, which recently regained strength with winds at 40 mph, moving north at 12 mph and will potentially make landfall in Louisiana this weekend.
“It is crucial to plan ahead and be prepared for Tropical Storm Cristobal,” said Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng said. “Cristobal is expected to bring heavy rain, winds, storm surge and flooding to our area, especially in the lower lining areas of the Parish outside of the levee protection system. We ask all residents of Jefferson Parish to stay weather aware and to shelter in place in advance of the storm’s arrival.”
Residents should continue to monitor the news for weather updates and follow guidance from local officials in the coming days. Residents are also reminded about the JPALERT System for real-time updates about Tropical Storm Cristobal. Residents can text either JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777 to stay informed.
Residents are encouraged to clear leaves and debris from gutters, downspouts and in front of catch basins to help rain get to the drain. It is also encouraged that all residents place their garbage and recycling bins curbside on their scheduled collection days this week in anticipation of heavy rain over the weekend. If heavy rain occurs, residents should remove all bins from the curb and secure them on their property to avoid debris clogging storm drains and the loss of bins if street flooding occurs.
A list of tropical weather supplies, evacuation details and other critical information can be found on www.getagameplan.org website or on the Jefferson Parish Emergency Management page.
It is always best to stay prepared during hurricane season and in advance of any storm. Here are some examples of what you and your family may need in the event you need to evacuate or shelter in place:
· A three to five-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day) and food that won’t spoil
· A supply of face coverings, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes due to COVID-19 concerns
· One change of clothing and footwear per person, and one blanket or sleeping bag per person
· A first aid kit that includes your family’s prescription medications
· Emergency tools including a battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries
· An extra set of car keys and a credit card, cash or traveler’s checks
· Sanitation supplies
· Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members
· An extra pair of glasses
· Important family documents in a portable, waterproof container
· Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
· Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
· Infant formula and diapers
· Pet food and extra water
For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.JeffParish.net. Residents can also receive regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.
Jefferson Parish Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
JPALERT – SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY ALERTS
Gretchen Hirt Gendron, PIO