JEFFERSON PARISH, LOUISIANA
May 11, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ENROLLMENT OPENS ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 12 FOR EMERGENCY BROADBAND BENEFIT
Residents in need of application assistance are encouraged to visit a Jefferson Parish library
JEFFERSON, LA – On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will open the application process for the Emergency Broadband Benefit, a new program to help eligible households who are struggling to afford internet services during the pandemic. This benefit is available on a first-come, first-served basis so residents are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Eligible households can enroll through a participating broadband provider or directly at www.getemergencybroadband.org.
Jefferson Parish residents, who are without reliable internet services, are invited to visit their local library branch to complete the online application. The Jefferson Parish Library system consists of 16 locations that stretch from the Lakeshore Branch on the edge of Lake Pontchartrain to the Grand Isle Branch just steps away from the Gulf of Mexico.
Designed to connect eligible households to jobs, critical healthcare services and virtual classrooms, this benefit will provide a discount up to $50 per month for broadband services. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer or tablet purchased through a participating provider. Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is allowed per household.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid or the FCC’s Lifeline program;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income through job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Additional information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit is available at www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit, or by calling 833-511-0311 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. any day of the week. For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.JeffParish.net. Residents can also receive regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.
Jefferson Parish Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
JPALERT – SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY ALERTS
Gretchen Hirt Gendron, PIO